Copyright Grey Gypsies Australia 2009
One of Tassie’s  loveliest bridges was commenced in 1836 by a convict gang supervised by Capt. Frederick Forth, the newly appointed Police Magistrate for the Campbell Town district and a former military engineer. The mellow red bricks were made locally and it was opened in July 1838 by Gov. Arthur Capt Frederick Forth Capt Frederick Forth, a former military engineer,  arrived in VDL in 1833 and quickly impressed the colonial administrator, Gov. George Arthur who appointed him to supervise the building of a new bridge at Campbell Town and be the police magistrate. Governor Franklin removed him from that position in 1839 after he failed to adequately supervise staff accused of embezzling money from the collection of quit rents.
Campbell Town
Grey Gypsies of Australia Tasmania
Next: Maria Island
Previous: Port Arthur
Home Hastings Maria Island Slide Show